Discover the historic & contemporary milestones of the Providence waterways on our fun & relaxing narrated tours! Voted 2023 “Best Local Tour”
Tour of Green Jacket Shoal
- Prime Event Adult
Tour RI’s Largest Ship Graveyard!
Come aboard with Captain Tom and guest guide David Robinson, Director of the Massachusetts Board of Underwater Archaeological Resources, for a 75-minute exploration of the Providence waterways & Green Jacket Shoal at Bold Point!
Bold Point, located in East Providence, RI, had once hosted the Providence Dry Dock & Marine Railway Company, a shipyard that repaired and maintained vessels in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Its floating dry dock was the first on Narragansett Bay and was used, along with two marine railways, to haul ships out of the water for repairs and service. The vessels off Bold Point were abandoned there “at the end of their working lives.’’ Many were likely transported to the company’s yard from within Providence Harbor, stripped of their valuable machinery and hardware—engines, boilers, paddle wheels, whistles, clocks, navigational instruments, rigging gear, bells, chairs and even chandeliers—and then moved a short distance to Green Jacket Shoal to rest in peace.
Join us as we welcome David aboard to explore Green Jacket Shoal, deemed “Rhode Island’s largest ship graveyard,” and a reminder of the industrial fervor that transformed Providence into a thriving commercial waterfront.
Once again, we are proud to offer these tours of Green Jacket Shoal in memory of Pete Manning, fellow historian, mariner and long-time friend of David’s. In Pete’s honor, a portion of all tickets sold will benefit the East Providence Historical Society.
- This tour is appropriate for ages 10+
- ALL passengers must have a reservation to board. Our vessels are inspected by the United States Coast Guard and we cannot have more than (18) passengers aboard at one time, regardless of age.
- Check-in is located inside The Landing at 101 Dyer Street in downtown Providence.
- When checking in for your tour, feel free to explore The Landing, where you’ll find Rhode Island-themed gifts, t-shirts, and local art; local crafts, jewelry and giftware, and a full café & ice cream parlor. You are welcome to bring beverages or ice cream from The Landing aboard with you to enjoy during your boat ride.
- Certified service dogs are permitted aboard, pets are not.
- Because our boats were built specifically for us to be able to navigate under the bridges throughout downtown, they are not wheelchair accessible.
Enhance Your Boat Tour Experience!
We have partnered with a few of our favorite local small businesses to offer delicious charcuterie platters, and individual boxes; freshly baked dessert platters, cupcakes, chocolate confections and sugar cookies! Once your boat tour is booked, order directly through each vendor for delivery right to our doors.
- The Perfect Parcel: Charcuterie Boxes, Boards and Grazing Tables (@the.perfectparcel) Ask for a discount code once your seats are booked for 10% OFF and complimentary delivery!
- Diva’s Dips & Gourmet Treats: Handmade chocolates, cookies and sweets (@divasdips)
- The Cookie Hub RI: Custom sugar cookies (@thecookiehubri)
- There are several parking garages, outdoor parking lots and on-street metered parking spaces throughout our neighborhood.
- The Freeway Parking Garage and Arcade Parking Garage, both located behind our building on Pine Street, offer very reasonable parking rates.
- We also recommend taking your hotel shuttle, a Lyft or Uber, or walking from your hotel, if possible. We are centrally located in downtown and most hotels are within a 15 minute walk from us.
Tour Cancellation Policy:
- Reservations are non-refundable. Please make sure you are booking the correct date/time.
- Customers may reschedule their reservation or receive a credit for a future tour (subject to availability) with 72 hours advance notice only.
- Requests to reschedule inside of 72 hours are not granted.
- Same-day late arrivals and no-shows are not exchangeable or refundable. If you are late for your tour, or if you don’t arrive at all, you will forfeit your entire reservation fare.
- We reserve the right to reschedule or cancel tours when less than 4 passengers have booked. It doesn’t happen often, but we will call you ASAP if it does.
Weather-Related Cancellation Policy:
- The weather in New England changes often, and quickly. Because of this, we do not postpone or cancel boat tours until the day of the tour. If we were to cancel your tour, we would call you at the phone number provided on your reservation. Please do not call us questioning cancellations, we will reach out to you once we have made a decision. Thank you for your patience and understanding on this policy.
- That being said, all of our tours typically run in a light mist and other moderate weather conditions. Our tours may launch a few minutes late if we are experiencing a passing shower, or weather-related event. We do not allow cancellations/refunds in this case, we simply ask that you are patient and wait it out with us.
- If a tour runs as scheduled, same-day refunds, cancellations or reschedules are not permitted.
- We reserve the right to cancel our tours in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If we do cancel your tour due to inclement weather, you may reschedule, subject to availability, or receive a full refund.