Discover the historic & contemporary milestones of the Providence waterways on our fun & relaxing narrated tours!
Tour of Green Jacket Shoal
- Prime Event Adult
Tour RI’s Largest Ship Graveyard!
Come aboard with Captain Tom and guest guide David Robinson, Director of the Massachusetts Board of Underwater Archaeological Resources, for a 75-minute exploration of the Providence waterways & Green Jacket Shoal at Bold Point!
Bold Point, located in East Providence, RI, had once hosted the Providence Dry Dock & Marine Railway Company, a shipyard that repaired and maintained vessels in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Its floating dry dock was the first on Narragansett Bay and was used, along with two marine railways, to haul ships out of the water for repairs and service. The vessels off Bold Point were abandoned there “at the end of their working lives.’’ Many were likely transported to the company’s yard from within Providence Harbor, stripped of their valuable machinery and hardware—engines, boilers, paddle wheels, whistles, clocks, navigational instruments, rigging gear, bells, chairs and even chandeliers—and then moved a short distance to Green Jacket Shoal to rest in peace.
Join us as we welcome David aboard to explore Green Jacket Shoal, deemed “Rhode Island’s largest ship graveyard,” and a reminder of the industrial fervor that transformed Providence into a thriving commercial waterfront.
Once again, we are proud to offer these tours of Green Jacket Shoal in memory of Pete Manning, fellow historian, mariner and long-time friend of David’s. In Pete’s honor, a portion of all tickets sold will benefit the East Providence Historical Society.
- Our capacity is (17) passengers per tour.
- Our website is in REAL TIME. If you only see one ticket available for a particular time, that’s all we’ve got left for that tour.
- This tour is ages 10+ only. All passengers, including children, must have a ticket to board. Our vessels are inspected by the United States Coast Guard and we cannot have more than (17) passengers aboard at one time, regardless of age.
- Kindly remember that our tours are narrated and our passengers are looking forward to listening to our tour guides. Please make sure this tour will be appropriate for your younger children.
- We are located inside The Landing at 101 Dyer Street in downtown Providence.
- When checking in for your tour, feel free to explore The Landing, where you’ll find Rhode Island-themed gifts, t-shirts, local art, a full café & ice cream parlor. You are welcome to bring beverages or ice cream aboard with you to enjoy during your tour, or you may also BYOB on all of our tours.
- There are no bathrooms on the boat, but there is a bathroom inside The Landing.
- Certified service dogs are permitted aboard, pets are not.
Enhance Your Boat Tour Experience!
We have partnered with a few of our favorite local small businesses to offer delicious charcuterie platters, and individual boxes; freshly baked dessert platters, cupcakes, chocolate confections and sugar cookies! Once your boat tour is booked, order directly through each vendor for delivery right to our doors.
- The Perfect Parcel: Charcuterie Boxes, Boards and Grazing Tables (@the.perfectparcel) Ask for a discount code once your tour is booked for 10% OFF and complimentary delivery!
- The Cookie Hub RI: Custom sugar cookies (@thecookiehubri)
- There are several parking garages, outdoor parking lots and on-street metered parking spaces throughout our neighborhood.
- The Freeway Parking Garage and Arcade Parking Garage, both located behind our building on Pine Street, offer very reasonable parking rates.
- We also recommend taking your hotel shuttle, a Lyft or Uber, or walking from your hotel, if possible. We are centrally located in downtown and most hotels are within a 15 minute walk from us.
Tour Cancellation Policy:
- We are a small, family-owned business with limited capacity on our boats. Because we are often sold-out and turn business away, we have a very specific cancellation policy that we adhere to at all times.
- Cancellations inside of 72 hours, late arrivals, no-shows, missing members in your party due to travel issues or illness, including Covid-19, are not exchangeable or refundable.
- We cannot guarantee your same time slot if you cancel a portion of your reservation. For example, if you reserve (4) seats for 8:30pm and then you need to cancel just (1) seat, you may be moved to a different time slot where we have (3) open seats.
- Customers may reschedule (subject to availability) or receive a full refund with 72 hours advance notice only. Please contact us by telephone to cancel your trip at 401-580-2628 or email us at [email protected].
- We reserve the right to reschedule or cancel tours when less than 4 passengers have booked. It doesn’t happen often, but we will call you ASAP if it does.
Weather-Related Cancellation Policy:
- The weather in New England changes often, and quickly. Because of this, we do not postpone or cancel boat tours until the day of the event. If we were to cancel your tour or private charter, we would call you at the phone number provided on your reservation. Please do not call us questioning cancellations, we will reach out to you once we have made a decision. Thank you for your patience and understanding on this policy.
- That being said, all of our tours typically run in light rain and other moderate weather conditions. Our tours may launch a few minutes late if we are experiencing a passing shower, or weather-related event. We do not allow cancellations/refunds in this case, we simply ask that you are patient and wait it out with us.
- If a tour runs, there are no same day refunds, cancellations or reschedules allowed.
- We reserve the right to cancel our tours in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If we do cancel your tour due to inclement weather, you may reschedule, subject to availability, or receive a full refund.