Discover the historic & contemporary milestones of the Providence waterways on our fun & relaxing narrated tours!
Tour of Green Jacket Shoal
- Special Event Adult Ages 16+
Tour RI’s Largest Ship Graveyard!
Come aboard with Captain Tom and guest guide David Robinson, Director of the Massachusetts Board of Underwater Archaeological Resources, for a 75-minute exploration of the Providence waterways & Green Jacket Shoal!
Bold Point, located in East Providence, RI, had once hosted the Providence Dry Dock & Marine Railway Company, a shipyard that repaired and maintained vessels in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Its floating dry dock was the first on Narragansett Bay and was used, along with two marine railways, to haul ships out of the water for repairs and service. The vessels off Bold Point were abandoned there “at the end of their working lives.’’ Many were likely transported to the company’s yard from within Providence Harbor, stripped of their valuable machinery and hardware—engines, boilers, paddle wheels, whistles, clocks, navigational instruments, rigging gear, bells, chairs and even chandeliers—and then moved a short distance to Green Jacket Shoal to rest in peace.
Join us as we welcome David aboard on June 3rd and September 30th, 2023 to explore Green Jacket Shoal, deemed “Rhode Island’s largest ship graveyard,” and a reminder of the industrial fervor that transformed Providence into a thriving commercial waterfront.
Once again, we are proud to offer these tours of Green Jacket Shoal in memory of Pete Manning, fellow historian, mariner and long-time friend of David’s. In Pete’s honor, a portion of all tickets sold will benefit the East Providence Historical Society.
- Our capacity is (17) passengers per tour.
- We are located inside The Landing at 101 Dyer Street in downtown Providence.
- When checking in for your tour, feel free to explore The Landing, where you’ll find Rhode Island-themed gifts, t-shirts, local art, a full café & ice cream. You are welcome to bring a beverage or ice cream aboard with you to enjoy during your tour.
- You may also BYOB on all of our tours.
- Certified service dogs are permitted aboard, pets are not.
Enhance Your Boat Tour Experience!
We have partnered with a few of our favorite local small businesses to offer delicious charcuterie platters, and individual boxes; freshly baked dessert platters, cupcakes, chocolate confections and sugar cookies! Once your boat tour is booked, order directly through each vendor for delivery right to our doors.
- The Perfect Parcel: Charcuterie Boxes, Boards and Grazing Tables (@the.perfectparcel) Ask for a discount code once your charter is booked for 10% OFF and complimentary delivery!
- Easy Entertaining RI: Full service catering, boxed meals, platters (@eentertaining)
- Thrive Cakery: Cupcakes, cookies and dessert platters (@thrive_cakery)
- Diva’s Dips & Gourmet Treats: Handmade chocolates, cookies and sweets (@divasdips)
- The Cookie Hub RI: Custom sugar cookies (@thecookiehubri)
- There are several parking garages, outdoor parking lots and on-street metered parking spaces throughout our neighborhood.
- The Freeway Parking Garage and Arcade Parking Garage, both located behind our building on Pine Street, offer very reasonable parking rates.
- We also recommend taking your hotel shuttle, a Lyft or Uber, or walking from your hotel, if possible. We are centrally located in downtown and most hotels are within a 15 minute walk from us.
Tour Cancellation Policy:
- Same day bookings are not refundable or exchangeable, please make sure you are booking the correct date/time.
- Customers may reschedule (subject to availability) or receive a full refund with 72 hours advance notice only.
- Cancellations inside of 72 hours, late arrivals and no-shows are not exchangeable or refundable.
- All of our tours typically run in light rain and other moderate weather conditions. We reserve the right to cancel our tours in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If we do cancel your tour due to inclement weather, you may reschedule, subject to availability, or receive a full refund.
- Our tours may launch a few minutes late if we are experiencing a passing shower. We do not allow cancellations/refunds in this case, we simply ask that you are patient and wait it out with us.